Friday, June 9, 2017

fast track to prep adventures for DMing

The key to DMing is to realize that you are a player, following the same rules you're used too. Just, you play the monsters. And you provide the framework for the players to roleplay their characters.

For these AL adventures I have a pretty rote prep pattern. I used to transcribe E-Very-Thing into a spreadsheet, and while that helps you understand the adventure, holy balls is it a lot of work. I have started using a highlighter of different colors for different aspects.
Green is timing or schedule because it helps you go.
Red or pink (highlight generally means pink) for monsters or traps cuz blood.
Yellow (gold) for treasure or magic items.
Blue for skill checks or saving throws.
Orange for player handouts.
The handouts themselves I print on parchment paper cuz it looks nice.
Region maps or nice art I print on photo paper.
Tactical maps I use PosteRazor to make table sized if we have time, and single sheet if we don't.
Monsters I print second copy and cut up for envelope.
I do this same thing for book content, which means because you cannot purchase them in PDF form, you need to take and print a lot of photos of pages, or scan a book to create your own PDF. Sometimes you need to dig for the monsters in various places, while the AL PDFs have everything at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment